African countries' year of independence (data from "World" MySQL database).
Local name displays on the timeline; click to view English name.
How to set up the timeline
- Set up an HTML file following the basic steps on the Getting Started page (steps 1-3).
- Create an XML file (or use the example file). Theoretically you can use SIMILE's Babel to convert an Excel file to XML:
- Copy the contents of the Excel file onto the clipboard.
- Under "from format", choose Tab-separated values.
- Under "to format", choose RDF/XML.
- Under "data to convert", choose "the data is text I can paste into this web page" AND mime-type "application/xml".
- Click Upload and Convert. Save the resulting xml file into the same directory as your html page.
- open their example1.xml
- edit it with Excel (2002 or 2003 only)
- Change the relevant date fields to "start" and "end", respectively, and the label you wish to display in the timeline to "title".
- Link to this XML file in the code you copied from the Getting Started instructions.
- Adjust the timeline: %height of top band and lower band; default start date;
- Style the div to modify the timeline's appearance.
...but I had trouble with this. Eventually I found the best way to create a conforming XML file was to:
The timeline is even more useful when combined with a data table and categories using Exhibit.
<- back to index | ©2007 clg.